How to Play Roulette
The roulette wheel has 36 numbered ball slots coloured red and black. In addition to the numbers 1 through 36, the wheel includes a green 0. American style roulette games have a double zero (00) in addition to the single zero (0).
The player makes bets by clicking on a chip and then on their desired area on the betting table. Clicking SPIN will start the round and release the ball. A win occurs if the player’s bet includes the number on which the roulette ball stops.
Roulette Bet Types
In European Roulette, the player can make inside bets and outside bets, call bets, and special bets.
*** Roulette Inside Bets***: Inside bets are those placed on specific numbers on the table.
- Straight, 35:1 - This is a bet placed on an individual number.
- Split, 17:1 - A bet placed on the line between two connecting numbers.
- Three Line (Street bet), 11:1 - To bet a row of three numbers, place the chip on the line below the bottom number in the row.
- Corner, 8:1 - A corner bet is a bet on 4 numbers. To make a corner bet, place a chip on the corner of 4 numbers. You also can make a corner bet on 0, 1, 2, 3 by placing a chip on the corner of the 0 and the row of 1, 2, 3.
- Six Line, 5:1 - This is a bet that allows the player to choose six numbers on 2 adjoining rows. Six-line bets are made by placing the chip on the bottom in the centre of the two rows.
Roulette Outside Bets: Outside bets are placed in different areas of the table that represent groups of numbers.
- Column, 2:1 - A Column bet allows the player to wager on a horizontal group of twelve numbers. To make this bet, place a chip on one of the three areas labelled 2:1.
- Dozen, 2:1 - A Dozen bet is a bet on four rows of three numbers. To make this bet, place a chip on the 1st 12, 2nd 12, or 3rd 12 locations.
- Red/Black, 1:1 - This bet allows the player to choose either the Red or Black locations on the roulette wheel.
- Even/Odd, 1:1 - With an even/odd bet, the player gets to gamble on whether or not the ball will land on an even or odd number.
- 1-18/19-36, 1:1 - Here the player can choose half the numbers on a single bet.
Roulette Call Bets: Call bets are those made on a series of numbers as they appear on the roulette wheel. These can be made by placing chips on the roulette racetrack which is opened by clicking the Racetrack icon on the bottom left. Call bets include:
- Neighbours and Numbers: This is a bet made on any one number and its neighbours, those numbers before and after the primary number as they appear on the roulette wheel. Up to 8 neighbours (a total of 17 numbers) may be bet on with a Neighbours and Numbers bet.
- Zero: A Zero bet is a bet on a series of seven numbers: 12, 35, 3, 26, 0, 32, and 15. To make this bet, place the bet on the area marked ZERO.
- Tiers: A tiers bet it on a series of twelve numbers: 27, 13, 36, 11, 30, 8, 23, 10, 5, 24, 16, and 33. To make a Tiers bet, place the bet in the area marked TIERS.
- Orphelins: This is a bet on a series of eight numbers: 17, 34, 6, 1, 20, 14, 31, and 9. To make an Orphelins bet, place the bet on the area marked ORPHELINS.
- Voisins: A Voisins bet is wagered on seventeen numbers: 22, 18, 29, 7, 28, 12, 35, 3, 26, 0, 32, 15, 19, 4, 21, 2, and 25. To make this bet, place a bet on the area marked VOISINS.
Roulette Special Bets: These are call type bets that can be made by clicking on the Favourite Bets button on the bottom of the playing area. Types of Special Bets include Jeu Zero, Voisins du zero, Tiers du cylinder, Finales en plein, Finales e cheval, Orphelins en plein, Orphelins a cheval, Black splits, and Red splits.
Roulette Custom Bets: After placing their chips on the roulette wheel, the player has the option of clicking the SPECIAL BETS icon, clicking on the FAVOURITE BETS tab, and saving their bet as a custom type that will be available for future playing sessions.
Versions of Roulette
There are two primary versions of roulette - the French and American versions. The primary difference in these two versions is the roulette wheel. The European (French) version has 35 red and black numbers and a single green 0 slot. The American version contains all these same numbers and an additional slot - the 00. American roulette gives a 5.3% house advantage whereas the European version provides a 2.7% advantage to the casino).
The other main difference between the two versions of roulette is what happens when the ball lands on zeros. In the American version, notably because the American wheel has two different zeros - 0 and 00 - all outside bets are lost if the ball lands on one of the zero slots. In the European version, landing on the 0 does not automatically lose the outside bets. In the case of a 0 hitting in the European version, any outside bets are handled depending on 1 of 2 French Roulette variations:
- En prison: This variation, literally meaning “jail”, keeps the bets in position and the player neither wins nor loses the outside bets on that round and those bets remain for a follow-up spin. Should the ball land on the 0 for a second straight spin, all outside bets are lost. Otherwise, these outside bets are treated as they would in any normal roulette round.
- La Partage: In this version, landing on a 0 will return half of any outside bets to the player. The other half is then collected by the house. In effect, La Partage is a hedge against a major loss on the outside bets should the ball land on a 0 during a round with outside bets placed on the table.
While there are other differences between the two versions, these can generally only be noticed at a land-based casino. For example, the American table is more compact while the European roulette table is much larger and can require two casino employees just to manage the betting that occurs on any single round. In fact, traditional French roulette tables are so large that they often have the roulette wheel in the center with two different betting areas on either side of the wheel.
It should be noted that the American roulette table is still the one most commonly found at European casinos. Often, European casinos will have a hybrid version - the more compact American roulette table and the more player-friendly European roulette wheel.
How to Play Roulette
Versions of Roulette
What kind of online roulette is offered at Wildz Casino?
You will find a wide range of various roulette types, such as American Roulette, French Roulette, European Roulette, Double Ball Roulette, Lightning Roulette and several other variations of the popular game.
Can I just bet on numbers and colours in online roulette?
No, at Wildz Casino you will be able to place inside bets, outside bets, call bets and special bets.
Do you offer Live Roulette at Wildz?
Yes. In addition to our extensive online roulette selection, we offer a wide range of Live Roulette in our Live Casino.
What are the difference between American and European/French Roulette?
The American Roulette wheel has one more slot than the European versions. In addition to the number 0-36 the American version has a 00 slot.